Effective Dry Eye Treatment
At Lifetime Vision Source, we understand that living with dry eye syndrome is both uncomfortable and inconvenient. For some, the discomfort can last just a few minutes, but in chronic cases, patients have to live with it all day, every day. If you suffer from dry eyes, come see our optometrists who will examine your eyes and provide treatment options to reduce or eliminate your discomfort. We offer personalized and innovative dry eye treatment options to help restore your visual health and comfort.
What Causes Dry Eye Syndrome?
Tears play the vital role of nourishing your eyes. They reduce the risk of infection by washing away foreign matter and keeping the surface of the eyes clear. Dry eye syndrome occurs when there is an imbalance in proper tear production. Common causes of this include:
- Insufficient amount of tears (not enough tears being produced)
- Rapid tear evaporation (poor quality of tears)
- Blepharitis (eyelid inflammation)
- Environmental factors such as extensive computer use or prolonged exposure to dry air, fans or smoke
- Previous eye surgeries (LASIK or cataract surgery)
- Systemic diseases such as Sjogren’s syndrome
- Meibomian gland dysfunction (poorly producing or blocked eyelid glands)
- Certain medications like birth control pills, antihistamines and acne medications
- Contact lenses
Common symptoms of dry eye syndrome include:
- Eye irritation: This is a telltale sign that your eyes aren’t properly flushing out irritants, making them feel gritty.
- Itchy eyes: Having itchy eyes is a common sign of a dehydrated cornea and poor tear production.
- Watery eyes: While this may sound counterintuitive, irregular tear production could mean your eyes can’t regulate and circulate moisture properly.
- Blurry vision: If your eyes are inflamed or irritated by tiny debris, blurry vision is a natural consequence
Suffering from any of these symptoms? Schedule a comprehensive eye exam here at Lifetime Vision Source so we can pinpoint the underlying source of your eye discomfort.
Treating Dry Eye Syndrome
Once we identify the root cause of your dry eye syndrome, we will map out a proper treatment plan to increase your natural tear production and prevent the problem from recurring. Treatment options include:
- Medicated eye drops to stimulate tear production and reduce inflammation
- Punctal plugs, an outpatient procedure that involves the insertion of artificial collagen plugs to reduce symptoms
- Artificial tears, or eye drops that help your eyes stay lubricated
- Lifestyle adjustments in the form of using a humidifier, spending less time on the computer, drinking more water or taking supplements to improve your body’s hydration
Schedule an Appointment for Dry Eye Treatment Today!
Call Lifetime Vision Source today at (701) 252-2020 or fill out our request form to book your appointment for dry eye treatment. Our clinic is located in Jamestown, ND, but we also welcome patients from nearby areas including Edgeley, Medina, Kensal, Gackle, Valley City and Carrington.